The first issue of what was then called the Attleborough Evening Chronicle was published on February 3, 1871. It was a four-page weekly published by Walter Phillips. The paper moved to a new location, in what later would become North Attleborough in 1873. Following the creation of the town of North Attleborough in 1887, the newspaper changed its name to the North Attleborough Evening Chronicle.
The Evening Chronicle's publisher, for most of its history in the twentieth century was Republican Congressman Joseph W. Martin, Jr. (1884 to1968) who served in the House of Representatives from 1925 to 1967. Martin was also Speaker of the House from 1947 to 1949 and from 1953 to 1955.
In 1970, two years after Joe Martin's death, his brother sold the Evening Chronicle to United Communications Corporation, which owned the Attleborough Sun. The two papers operated separately for one year until they finally merged, in March 1971, as the Sun Chronicle.
The three-story brick building at 12 Church Street that housed the North Attleborough Evening Chronicle has been owned for several years by Attorney Stephen D. Clapp, and his law offices are located there. Despite being out of the newspaper business since 1971, the building retains the words Chronicle Building at the very top. The words are set in a typeface known as Old English Text Font. This is the style used on the mastheads of major papers such as the New York Times and the Boston Globe and a more humble publication known as the North Attleborough Evening Chronicle.