Zoning Board of Appeals
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Benjamin Dowling, Chair
- Landis Hershey, Vice Chair
- Kristen Magas
- Denise LeBreux
- Bruce A. Wessel
- Arsen Hambardzumian, Alternate
- Steffani Pelton, Alternate
The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is a permit-granting authority appointed by the Town Manager and has all of the powers and duties prescribed under Chapter 40A of the Massachusetts General Laws. See the North Attleborough Zoning By-Laws.
The ZBA has the authority to hear and decide petitions for:
- Appeals of zoning orders and decisions made by the Building Commissioner,
- Variances with respect to land or structures,
- Special Permits for certain projects as allowed for in the Zoning By-laws, and
- Comprehensive Permits under Chapter 40B of the Massachusetts General Laws.
The Board of Appeals must act within the time constraints and specifications of the General Laws and the Zoning By-laws. The Board of Appeals may impose conditions, safeguards, and/or limitations as part of its approval of any application.
The Board generally meets once each month to hear any appeals taken from the Building Inspector's decision as to whether a person is entitled to a building permit as well as applications from individuals requesting a variance from the Zoning By-law. The Board is required by law, to hear such appeals and applications and to render written decisions within specified statutory periods. A statutory notice of each hearing is posted in ZBA Legal Notices as well as published in The Sunday Chronicle and mailed to abutters prior to the hearing.